Monday, March 16, 2009

The Touch Test

The other night I went out to dinner with my Nana. We went to an Italian restaurant I had been to before, but not in at least a year. I gave the server my card and she came back and said I should be all set. They only used pure olive oil, and no nuts. She said the fish was cooked separately from the meat. I was all set!

When the food came to the table, I put a small taste on my fork. I then touched the sauce from my chicken up to my lip and let a little sit there for a minute. I can tell right away if I am having a reaction, so when I felt nothing, I tested a small bite. It tasted great, and no allergic reaction!

Ever since I was little, I have always done the touch test. Everyone has their own method, but this is mine. Basically it consists of touching the food lightly to my skin to see if I get a reaction. Of course, I only try this after asking about all the ingredients, and being told by the server or restaurant manager that the food I ordered is fine. My dad taught me this. If I don't get any tingling or a hive, it is on to step two: the taste test. When I taste test a food, I have a very small taste of the food. Then I wait a few minutes to make sure I don't get a reaction. I usually take these pre-cautious steps when I am trying something new, or something that I haven't had in a while. It is a safer way, instead of going right in and taking a big bite out of a dish.

The first time I am out with someone and they see me do this, I often get asked, "Is your food okay?" Then I have to explain what I am doing. I don't mind this explanation though. It makes sense, and could save me from ingesting a large amount of something I could have a reaction to!

No comments:

Post a Comment