Monday, March 16, 2009

My Allergies

Since I was a baby, I've had food allergies.  I also have asthma and environmental allergies.  My anaphylactic allergies include peanuts, tree nuts, fish and potatoes, and less severe allergies to banana, kiwi, legumes, some raw fruits and vegetables. What I find most important with having anaphylactic allergies is trusting yourself, and finding ways to keep yourself safe.  As a child, parents and family members are a fabulous help in keeping you safe!  They will teach you how to read ingredients, what is safe to eat, and what you should avoid.  As I've grown older, I have used these tools my parents gave me, to go to school, camp, travel, and live independently.  

No matter what, not everyone is going to understand, and although I do hope that more people will begin to understand the seriousness of food allergies, I know that there is still many people who don't.  This is why it is important to learn how to be responsible for your own allergies.  

The number one and MOST important thing to remember is to ALWAYS carry your epi-pen...ALWAYS! That is what will keep you safe, and that is by far what I have found to be the most important way of keeping myself safe!  I also wear a Medic Alert bracelet. These two items are the most important possessions I own, because they are what could save my life in the case of a reaction.

Over time, I have learned how to read my gut feelings, and know when to trust what I am eating, and when not to.  This feeling comes over time.  I have lived in other countries, traveled to many more, and never have once let my allergies control where or what I want to do. I have learned to empower myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment